Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Friday, July 28, 2006

This Blog Is Called Reality Check For a Reason

I have never experienced such a different culture such as this in my entire life. Everything is so different that it is taking me a while to adjust. Thailand I think is a fine place. Safe, cheap, with friendly people. But man-o-man am I having a time adjusting to this place.

I've been here, what, 5 days? And Thailand is very accomadating and all, but it sure as hell ain't no Western society.

I went to eat at a breakfast buffet this morning and it had everything that you could want for breakfast, and if they didn't have what you wanted just ask and they will make it or get it for you. It cost me 110B. I went to a cigar shop called Cuban Corner and I was flirting with the girl working there if she could afford to eat there and she said "No, no. Too much money. Me save for week then eat." To me that's just under $3. I lose $3 in my sleep and she would have to save for a week. Wow. Reality Check!

Thai words and phrases that I know so far:

You say "kahp" at the end of a sentence if you are male or "ka" if you are female.

Sawadee kahp/ka (saw-wah-dee) - Hi. Hello.

Kahp cum kahp/ka - Thank you or You are welcome.

Kahp ma kahp/ka - thank you very much.

Baht = money

Soi - street

Where you go? - Take my bike taxi or tuk tuk instead of walking.

Farang (Fah-rong) - White dude. Which means "Walking ATM"

Hellooo sexy maaaan - You are a sexy man.




Th Kaosan Road in the daylight. That is it's name. I didn't miss an 'e' after th

Th Kaosan Road at night

This dude will whip up a mean dish of Pahd Thai for 20B. With rice 25B.


Coho. This is the lobby of The Buddy Hotel. They also had a dune buggy that was painted like a Ferrari. I knew I had found a good place right away.


At the Cuban Corner across the street from my guest house in Pattayan. Eat your hearts out you sucker lovers in the U.S.A. Cuban cigars everywhere. Heh heh heh. I spent 1745B on 5 cigars that is about one-third of the clerks monthly wage.

Ever wondered how much people get paid in Thailand? Click HERE to find out more.

7 Comments:

At 7/28/2006 5:18 PM, Blogger npod said...

This is so awesome! Tell us more about the crazy food! How is the pad thai?

 
At 7/28/2006 10:30 PM, Blogger coho said...

Are the bikes and scooters in the lobby a display or is it privileged parking (which should always be offered to anything with three or fewer wheels)?

 
At 7/29/2006 1:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You sound like it's not so bad this different culture. You could make big bank with the IT stuff. Jazz in the Valley is off to a great start so far. I'm just mellowing out from the beer. Not bad either. later bro...
Dale

 
At 7/30/2006 8:53 PM, Blogger Thom said...

Noah - Oddly but the Pahd Thai is just as good as the Pad Thai at just about any decent Thai restraunt. But last night I had the best Tom Kah Goong that I have ever eaten.

Coho - Just display.

Dale - Good luck with the Jazz.

 
At 7/31/2006 11:25 AM, Blogger David Stephen Ball-Romney said...

Have you yet been spoiled by the fruit of Asia? After eating papaya and mangos there, these same fruits in America will forever taste like wax in comparison.

Do you know what else you can get for the price of a T-shirt? So be careful which side streets you take, and I don't mean because of the famous jewelry scams!

The Temple of the Emerald Buddha (Wat Phra Kaew) is a site that you might remember for the rest of your life, but the Temple of the Dawn (Wat Arun) is perhaps the most unique temple in Thailand -- it is decorated with broken dishes from China.

 
At 8/02/2006 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thom,

Thanks for the continuing updates on your world travels. I am fascinated by the sites and experiences you have been sharing. Take care of yourself, and keep the posts and pictures coming.

Kelly

 
At 8/06/2006 1:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mann,

i see the maui shirt is still living. be carefull with the cigarettefire

;-)

mail is comming soon

greatings Frank

 

Post a Comment

<< Home