Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

On Th Koasan Road

I'm staying in arguably the best hotel in the area and it costs me 1800 Baht or $47 a night. 2 beds, TV with english speaking channels, a marble bathroom, minibar and fridge, plus room service and free breakfast. Deal, deal, deal. And this place is full of deals.

Internet is currently costing me 1 Baht (B) a minute. So for 60 B or about $1.50 an hour. BW The dollar is trading at around $1=40B. Or 38.95 today. A 1 litre beer costs 80B. 1 litre Pepsi at the 7-11 is 17B. A nice thin cotton long sleeve shirt 200b. T-shirt with printing on the front 80B. Dinner from a street vender 25B. Obviously ripped CDs of just about every poplular song artist 6 CD for 500B or 100B each. Taxi from the airport 700B.

Everything is different here. To the way you take a shit to eating. I'm still in a bit of a shock. But so far, at least where I'm staying, most everyone knows rudimentary English. Mostly I think in order to get your tourist dollar. But it is proving easier to talk to people than I had originally thought.

This was taken in China Town in Brisbane. I had to post this for Mom. Hi Dolly. Notice the black sign. You could make some good money here Mom.

Caught the reflection of the sunset outside my window in Brisbane. By comparison that single room with TV and en-suite cost me $85 a night.


At the "Thia Bar Thai Bar" on Th Koasan. Drinking a Phuket beer. A lager that was pretty tasty. A little sweeter and not as harsh an aftertaste as other Thai beer, like Singha.

This is the very flirtatious Singmai. The bartender at the Thai Bar Thai Bar.


I told you everything was different.

I tried to post more pictures but after 2 tries and getting "Server could not be found" I'll stop here for today. I will be leaving Bangkok soon for the city of Pattaya. My friend James told me to call Bob and Bob is a motorcyclist who told me that I can rent a bike for 10B a day. Or I could by a new 150cc scooter type bike for around 60,000B. That's what he rides and he said he goes everywhere in it. Yet another new adventure awaits.

4 Comments:

At 7/27/2006 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the card.
beermapping.com
Check it out. Maybe you will find something close.
Hows the bugs & rodents?
Q

 
At 7/27/2006 10:59 AM, Blogger coho said...

The bugs and rodents are available either steamed, sauteed or deep-fried, yeah?

 
At 7/27/2006 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds and looks like your glad you went. I was told you csn't chew gum over there in puplic! True or false?
Love Ya Mary

 
At 7/28/2006 5:53 AM, Blogger Thom said...

Q - The bugs and rodents are are fine. I had some crickets last night and they had the consistancy like popcorn flavored with thia spices. They were okay. I have not seen a single rodent. Mangy dogs yes. Rodents no.

Mary - You can do almost ANYTHING you want here. I think you are refering to Singapore where it is not illegal to chew gum if you are a foreigner, but they do not sell it and if it ever gets on the ground... bad news.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home