Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Sunday, July 23, 2006

The "C" Word

***WARNING***
If you do not want to expand your knowledge about what North Americans consider bad words while other parts of the World do not. Then stop reading any further.

Cunts:

Cunts is used all the time downunda and does not always mean a bad thing. But even when it is, it's not considered nearly as bad as North Americans do.

The first time I heard it used in it's most common way I was standing in line at the grocery store and I overheard the guy in front of me say on his cell phone. "I'm going to have a few of the cunts over to down some Four X and watch some footy."

I then went back to the hostel and asked the guy at reception if what I heard, is what I thought I heard. But he explained that cunts is used to mean friends or buddies. So the guy was saying that he was having his friends over to drink some beer and watch Aussie Rules Football.

Cunt is used mostly about men. I've never heard it used about women, but it does also mean she is not being nice. "Shut up Shirley. You're being a cunt."

But it also means you are an okay person. "I like you I think you're a good cunt." Or "This is Thom. He's a cunt."

Also to mean an idiot. "Look at that cunt crossing the motorway." Or "What a stupid cunt."

Piss:

This is used to mean getting drunk. "I went out on the piss last night." Or "We're all getting pissed." Or "I am really pissed."

It also means that you are just joking around. "Stop it Thom. You are just pissing around." Or "He's always on the piss."

To urinate. "I'm going to go piss."

You are really upset. "Thom really pissed me off." Or "I'm pissed about that."

These words are also used all the time on the Radio and T.V. as well as shit, fuck, asshole, and all the other words that Americans are not allowed to say. It is very liberating to know that by frequent use of these words the bad meaning of them has gone away so that these words are just other words to use and not know as "bad" words. But don't say bloody. Bloody is a bad word and some people get upset by that one. Go figure.

I can't wait to learn new ways of using language in Asian cultures. Off to Thailand tomorrow.

4 Comments:

At 7/23/2006 8:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your trip to Thailand. Understanding their
interpretation of those phrases will be interesting.
Be safe
Love you
Mom-Dad

 
At 7/23/2006 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how does it feel having your mom be the first person to respond to that posting. Doug

 
At 7/23/2006 11:55 PM, Blogger npod said...

You're such a good cunt Thom. Hi Mom!

 
At 7/24/2006 9:12 PM, Blogger Thom said...

Doug - Pretty good to have Mom respond first. I didn't think she'd read it, to be honest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home