Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Brisbane stuff & Heading for New Zealand

Writing in my journal.


Overall I like Brisbane. It's pretty laid back for a major city (the second largest in Australia) the cars wait for pedestrians, the bus drivers make change, the people are friendly and helpful, but the roads suck.

You'll be driving along looking for a street and they won't tell you until you've past it because the road signs on on the opposite side of the intersection, always. There are street signs, but as I've said before if you don't catch what street you are currently on they won't put up another sign any time soon. Plus you'll be trying to find some place and get on a one way street, so, naturally, you think the next street will be a one way going the other direction. WRONG. It will be another one way going the same way as the one you past. So frustrating. But they do have some nice architecture.


This is the Queensland House of Finance. City hall is also located in this cool building.

This city also has some interesting art work. Like on the transit Center:

There are also some cool parks and gardens free and open to the public. Like the Roma Street Parklands. I went with my friends Tomi from Japan and Doris of Germany (she stayed up until 3 AM watching the German soccer team play in the World Cup. The nut.)


Tomi and Doris (Doris had never seen a snap dragon flower before).

I don't know what kind of a plant this is, but I found it strange (something else strange about Australia) is that even in winter there are flowering plants. Crazy.

I bought my plane ticket to New Zealand today. It wasn't cheap but this is the real big tourist time there (from what I've been told) school is now out and the skiing is supposed to be world class. Even though I have no equipment or really warm clothes, I'm heading for those slopes! Hopefully this trip won't dig too deep into my money for Japan.

When I was first deciding about where to go on this trip there were only 2 countries that I really wanted visit ; Australia and Japan. Why? I don't know, they've just always had some kind of an appeal to me. So even if I have to cut back on my time in Thailand in order to stay in Japan longer is fine with me. But what is really cool about going to New Zealand is how often do you hear anyone from The States say they went snow skiing in New Zealand? Huh, huh? Be jealous my skiing friends, be very jealous. Dale? Biekers? Candace? I'm talking to you!

9 Comments:

At 6/26/2006 4:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First at last, take that coho....enjoy the slopes....NZ girls I've met are beautiful...see ya
dale

 
At 6/26/2006 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dale, what the heck are you doing up at 4:30 - just trying to beat coho? Good prioirities, buddy! Anywyho, skiing? yes, I'm jealous, very jealous especially since its supposed to hit 100 today. That should be a great time - make some turns for me.

Marla

 
At 6/26/2006 10:26 AM, Blogger coho said...

It worked! I made Dale get up at 4:30 in the morning on a Monday! Ha ha ha ha!

PS. Skiing is for people who don't have motorcycles.

Schuss safely! Vote Hubbard!

 
At 6/26/2006 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you and that you are going to NZ.
Please be safe.Have fun.
Mom and Dad

 
At 6/26/2006 1:51 PM, Blogger coho said...

PS. I'm soon to lay my hands on info for Bangkok. Ben's tailor and an excellent and inexpensive guesthouse...details and addresses/directions/business cards (in Thai, so you can hand it to the cab driver- damn, you're gonna get to ride in a tuk-tuk, you bastard).

Don't break nuthin' skiing.

 
At 6/26/2006 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys....I got up at 3:30...just like every work day. Turns......lets all close our eyes and enjoy some shushy turns, back and forth. Feel the cool wind on your face.....and pow.....your down and rolling and tumbling out of control....then back up and like nothing ever happened...your skiing again....
I'm not any cooooler..100 on the porch out of the sun. Thom...your a dog.
Dale

 
At 6/27/2006 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Thom, Another great adventure.
I thought you already bought all your tickets before you left?
Anyway have fun on the slopes.
Be safe Love ya!
Mary

 
At 6/27/2006 6:18 PM, Blogger Thom said...

I'm looking forward to all the fun to be had in NZ. I have heard nothing but good things about the country.
Dale - I'll think of you while I'm wearing the fake cast.

Thanks Coho. I was going to ask for that information sooner or later.

Mary - I bought an around the world ticket and that included Fiji, Australia, Thailand, Japan, and return back to Seattle. This trip to NZ (The Aussies call it En Zed) is a side trip and one I had a bit of stuggle to decide if it would be worth the extra cost. I decided that the jealousy factor alone was worth it.

I got up this morning at 7:30 and didn't make it out for breakfast until about 9. Heh heh

 
At 6/27/2006 8:00 PM, Blogger David Stephen Ball-Romney said...

Can you hook me up with some elven college girls? And be sure to get a picture of yourself with some Hobbits! Jealousy factor, YES!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home