Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I'm Going To Take A Job

That's right. I'm going to take a job here at the Nimbin Rox Hostel. The owners Chris and Loey are expecting a baby about June 24. They need someone to basically run the whole hostel for a couple of weeks during and after the baby is born. So, I, with great thought and contemplation, have decided to do this job. Why not? When am I ever going to have the opportunity to stay in an absolutely beautiful place for free and with a little bit extra, but the money is not why I'm doing it.

Here I am, a foriegner, have said in a few hostels, but have never worked in one, and now I'm being asked to manage an award winning hostel for a few weeks. I'm in.

So my plans are changing. I was suppose to leave for Thailand on June 24, but I can stay in Australia up to July 24, so I will have to do some flight changes. But I'm excited about doing this job. It looks like I'll be in Nimbin for a couple of months.

12 Comments:

At 5/24/2006 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you dude.....and good for Chris and Loey, wish them the best from all of me. I want to go there too.
Dale

 
At 5/24/2006 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: DOITDOITDOIT.

 
At 5/24/2006 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great Thom .You have another challenge.Proud of you.
you can do it.Be safe.
We Love you
Mom and Dad

 
At 5/24/2006 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a neat opportunity - I'm sure you'll be a tremendous manager. By the end of it you'll probably know more about that area than some locals. So how much of your time will it take? Will you still be able to play around with day trips, etc in the area? Do you have to scrub toilets? Hope not....

Have fun!

Marla

 
At 5/24/2006 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool Thom. You're going to make me get on a plane to come and visit aren't you? I am sure you will do great and have a wonderful time.

Comet

 
At 5/24/2006 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, Thom. What a cool opportunity! Doug

 
At 5/25/2006 1:31 AM, Blogger Thom said...

Marie- So how much of your time will it take? *I don't know probably 8 hours a day, at least.

Will you still be able to play around with day trips, etc in the area?

I don't think so. Not after the baby is born. I don't see how I could, but maybe.

Do you have to scrub toilets?

I will do whatever it takes to maintain the business at a high standard.

Comet-Come to Nimbin NOW!

 
At 5/25/2006 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what kind of money are you offering all of us to help you run your hostel when you buy one?
I know one little girl that would be on a plane tomorrow. If she could. Congrates!! Your the right man for the job!
Love you!
Kevin,Mary
Zack @ Bailey

 
At 5/25/2006 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about time ya got a bleedin' job, ya slacker.

 
At 5/26/2006 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful opportunity! We need more picture of the lucky parents and employers. So if you get you head stuck in toilet cleaning we'll know who to look for.


Love
Sister Su

 
At 5/28/2006 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A job? How cool is that? Seems like a perfect pause in your journey. It continues to be such a treat to read your blog and know you are out there exploring the world for the rest of us chained to the chair folks.

 
At 5/29/2006 9:55 PM, Blogger Thom said...

Mary - If I run a hostel you can come and work for free any time you like. Tell Bailey that there are a lot of young women 18 - 20 years old, who are traveling the world. Her fears are only in her head. Come on out and join us!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home