Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Thursday, May 11, 2006

It's A Lot Like This:

I'm at the only internet cafe (that anyone of 3 people know about) in Tamworth the "Country Music Capital" of Australia. You'd think it'd be nothing but hicks in hats and big trucks, like Ellensburg, but it's fairly cosmopolitan for Australian standards. There are sidewalk cafes and a pedestrian friendly downtown. I've got stories to tell. "The 3 Sisters" Katoomba, the Blue Mountains in the distance.

Katoomba is a really nice place and I wouldn't mind going back for a longer visit. It reminds me of a much more hippier Roslyn with a bigger population too. There are sidewalk cafes, and small shops along the main drag. The big claim to fame is that they got the cool tours and stuff for the
Blue Mountains which is a million hectares of undisturbed mountains and forests. Most all the trees are gum trees. Everywhere gum trees. There is a really nice hostel there too, The Blue Mountain YHA is a converted old motel. I would have stayed longer, but I just got the bike the day before and in the morning it was -1 C! Just below freezing. Gah.

From here I went to Bathurst and then on to Lithgow where it was still cold out so I had to buy some warmer gloves and pants. From Lithgow into Windsor is a marvelous bike ride on the highway called
"Bell's Line of Road" it was just enough twist and zip that it never got boring.

Windsor is a growing town in the middle of wine country but it sucked. NEXT!

The next morning... I hit the Putty Road.
What a magnificent road for a motorbike! At the north end it was very twisty. Some corners were posted at 15 KM! The road had great sweepers with some parts of the road covered by trees. So pretty.

I ended this day on the "Pacific Highway, which is like most pacific highways too much traffic, small towns and bad driving. I wound up in a town called Blackbeach. It was a dumpy oceanside place with a great visitor's center.

Made it up to Aderdeen The road was nothing exciting more or less a highway but it sure is pretty there. It reminded me of home. Lots of flat land with rolling hills and horses and cows. from here and spent the night in Tamworth at the Tamworth YHA and got little sleep.


Right now I'm in Tamworth and they have a giant guitar. Where's Paul Bunyan when you need him?

8 Comments:

At 5/11/2006 11:46 PM, Blogger Thom said...

Hi everyone! I just wanted to say thanks for all your posts and comments. I always look forward to reading what you all have to say. It's pretty crazy when even my family members post comments. Some day I'm going to be a STAR! All thanks to blogger.com ;)

 
At 5/12/2006 2:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Content Provider!

We, the Reality Check Readers, need a report on the Beer down under. (Mostly me, but Dale would probably get behind the idea.)

Today's security word is "ritunkwo".

 
At 5/12/2006 6:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey did you forget that it is winter there. They do have christmas in the summer. Don't freeze!
Love ya Sue

 
At 5/12/2006 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beeeeeer,
Dale

 
At 5/12/2006 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

reading your blog is such great way to get a smile going. phil leaves today to ride Lo Lo Pass to Montana and back in a blink of an eye, the wing shiny and the sun out at least the next few days. the roads in australia will be calling his name after he sees your pictures. hows gas prices? I will be in Aberdeen today with the folks and the birds. Will you take any days off for nature adventures? I know my world traveling parents LOVE Australia of course they loved antartica and the peguins too.

take care

 
At 5/12/2006 12:09 PM, Blogger David Stephen Ball-Romney said...

You travel half way around the world and end up in Ellensburg (aka Tamworth)? "...the "Country Music Capital" of Australia." What is that LIKE?

 
At 5/12/2006 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thom,
Looks like your having the time of your life....way COOL! Hey I'm thinking of buying a bike. The gas is going crazy up here and I can't afford to drive to work a nymore. The tranny went out twice on the Tribute and now the new one that was replaced (500 miles) went out. I'm looking for work closer to home. Later. Dave M

 
At 5/13/2006 9:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice mothers day e-mail. It looks like a beautiful country.have a great adventure
and please be safe.The
15th is dads 79th
Love you Mom and Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home