Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Friday, May 12, 2006

Some Things I've Noticed


-There is no, or very little tipping in Australia, but the service is also lacking. Most of the time I have to service myself, which is fine, at least my meal didn't cost me 15% more. And really wait staff don't really do to much anyway to earn an extra 15% most of the time. Sorry to all you wait staff people out there.

-We say "How ya doin'?" They say "How ya Goin'?"

-The $2 coin is smaller than the $1 coin. That took me a couple of weeks to get used to.

-The Traveler's Information Centers are great. These people go out of their way to get you what you need. Especially if you need a place to spend the night or want to do some touristy sight seeing.

- The electrical outlets all have a switch on them. Plus the plugs are bigger and different than what we have in the U.S. A light switch looks like the switch here, but without a plug next to it.

-THE BEER -- Most of the beer is yellow but with more body and malty tasting, but with more flavor than a Bud or Coors. The big ones here are Victoria Bitter (which isn't), Toohey's New (I usually drink this one), there are others but I can remember these right now. I've only seen and tried one beer that was darker in color that is a Toohey's Old. It was not good. Tasted like a bad amber. Bleh.

-Road signs are few and far between. You gotta know where you are going and if you miss a road sign you better go back because they don't like to repeat themselves.

-Bottle shops are the common way to get your alcohol. They seem to be everywhere. A bottle shop sells beer, wine, and spirits in the bottle and some are drive through. Tell them what you want at the window and they bag it up and send you on your way. Many resteraunts and cafes are B.Y.O. and have no corkage fee. They will even provide glasses or mugs, sometimes kept in a cooler for you, and some even provide a wine bucket with ice, if it's a white wine.

-Washing machines cost about $3 to $4 per load and a dry is about $2 to $4.

-We have beware of deer signs. They have beware of Kangaroos and Wallabees.

-Sometimes their accent is tough to figure out. -- At a petrol fill up I go in to pay; I have yet to see a gas pump with a card reader you have to go inside to the attendant to pay, the guy inside says "How ya goin'?" I say fine thanks, he says "Yawndatooah?" I say pardon me? He says "Yawndatooah?" I say I'm sorry, say that again? He says "Yawndatooah?" I say, did you say "Yawndatooah???" He says yeah. I say I don't know what that means. He says "Ah you on dah tooah, on your motorbike?" Oh, yes, yes I am on the tour on my motorbike. I'm awndatooah.

-Happy Mother's Day!!!

4 Comments:

At 5/13/2006 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, a Beer Report. That worked fast...hmm.

Hey, Content Provider!
We, the Reality Check readers, need $10 each (US$, not that weird foreign stuff).

 
At 5/13/2006 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Country Music Capital of Australia? Wow. Please spare us when you find the ABBA shrine. Anyhoo...Good news, I have a job interview next week with, get this, the Aurora Public Schools in suburban Denver. The district is so big and growing that they have their own planning staff and they are adding an assistant to do GIS/Cartography, and to gopher to the various planning and assessment depts. in the district. Wish me luck if you want a sofa to sleep on when you go skiing in CO. Glad to see that you're having fun. Doug

 
At 5/13/2006 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thom,

Sounds like you're having a great time. I just got back from Europe, loved it and the beer was excellent. Keep enjoying yourself.

Candace

 
At 5/13/2006 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thom,
Looking good!!!!
Bailey is going to the country music capital "Nashville" July 7-July 14. Her group(of 3) took first at state for FCCLA (future community and carrier laeders of America). Now on to Nationals!!
She must have gotten her sence of adventure from Uncle Thom!!!
You will have to compare storys.
We love you,
Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home