Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Monday, June 19, 2006

Nice Scenery, Great Rides, Can't Upload Pics

Last time I posted I was in Murwillumbah and it was a very okay place. But I've left there and I've been toBeaudesert (Boe-desert) and the locals asked me "How did you end up in Beaudesert?" Well that's because it's on the way to Ipswich (Ips-witch), of couse and I had just been to Mt. Tamborine. Damn I wish I could post a picture or two of that lookout. Wow. Plus the ride up and down that mountain was pretty incredible. 12% to 15%!! downgrades and many signs warning trucks and buses to use lowest gear and slow vehicles ahead. Plus it was really twisty, heh heh heh.

Beaudesert is in the middle of nowhere and when I told them that I was on my way to Ipswich they would ask, "Why are you going there? There's nothing there." As if there was something, anything, in Beaudesert besides hot days, considering it's winter in Australia, of about 80 but chilly nights, the low was around 40... brrr. I hate missing out on summer at home.

From Beaudesert I skipped Ipswich, because there is nothing there *snicker*, and made my way to Cabulture (Kah-bull'-chur) via Brisbane (Briz-bin) and spent the night at the Cabulture Motel. Which reminds me of another difference between our two countries.

In Australia a Hotel is almost always the center of what's happening in a small town. It has food, rooms, and a bar or pub. The rooms are also really cheap but there is usually only a bed, and a chair, and maybe a sink and can be rather dive-ish. Whereas Motels are nice and have lots of amenities; dishes, microwave, tea, coffee, fridge, cable or sat. TV, and all the ones I've stayed in have been family owned and provide a very reasonably priced breakfast delivered to your room at your chosen time. I think that hotels and motels are different in America in that motels can be rather dive-ish and hotels are nicer (for the most part).

At my stay in Cabulture I met another biker, Dave Bassett who said when I got to Toowoomba (two-woom'-buh) that I could stay with him. He not only offered once, but a few times. So I made my way to Toowoombah via the Glass House Mountains and stayed with him. He owns his own business, and he is his sole employee, sanding houses prior to painting. He has an interesting lifestyle but we got along really well and he even wants to buy my motorcycle but he has no money. Speaking of my motorcycle...

I'm now in Brisbane trying to sell that sucker and the best offer so far is $2,500 and I bought it for $7,000. (Did I ever mention that someone back into and knocked over the motorcycle and broke the mirror casing? I didn't think so.) Anyway, that bums me out. But I know that I can still sell it back to the guys in Sydney (Sid-knee) for $3,500 but it's not in the same condition that I bought it (with the broken mirror thingy), so I'm a little down about what to do and the money being offered. Fuck... I mean, ohm... ohm... ohm... it will all work out in the end... ohm...

Thom's year without a summer continues.

9 Comments:

At 6/19/2006 10:44 AM, Blogger npod said...

I wonder how much that mirror part costs. Maybe you can replace it before you get back to the bike shop? Oh well. You'll figure it out. Sounds like it was a very fun way to travel! Next stop still Thailand?

 
At 6/19/2006 4:21 PM, Blogger Thom said...

Hey Noah! Good to hear from you.

I'm not sure it Thailand will be my next stop. I think I'm headed to New Zealand to snow ski for a couple of weeks. Just the sound of it makes me giddy.

 
At 6/19/2006 6:40 PM, Blogger coho said...

Glad you've decided to go to New Zealand (noo-ZEE-lund). You should get your bike money (MUH-nee) in cash so that you can spend it all on Irish Coffees (MAH-nuh-frum-HEH-vun) and snow bunnies (PRO-stit-toots) while you lounge in the lodge with a fake cast (DEE-uhl-CLO-sur) on your leg.

I want a picture of Bert Munro's shed.
And a picture of Bilbo's house.
And some New Zealand coffee.
And a pony.

 
At 6/20/2006 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, you would be missing summer here, too. The weather has basically sucked this spring/summer. It's even worse for me, though, because I'm moving to Portland in the next couple of weeks, so no summer for me ever again. Oh well. Nice to have landed a new job. Details later. Doug

 
At 6/21/2006 3:09 AM, Blogger coho said...

Ha-Ha!
Doug don't get no sum-mer,
Doug don't get no sum-mer!

 
At 6/21/2006 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You haven't had one for how long now coho? Doug

 
At 6/21/2006 7:38 PM, Blogger Thom said...

That is really good news Doug! Glad to hear it. Too bad I can't repay the favor and help you move. Keep me posted. I'm suppose to land in Portland on Sept. 19.

It makes me feel better that the weather here is better than back home. I'm missing the dry hot days and biking through the mountains. *sigh*

 
At 6/21/2006 8:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's OK. Funny coincidance that you're landing in Portland. Get in touch with me and let me know what you want me to do with the stuff of yours I have. Doug P.S. I'll be working as a cartographer for the Multnomah County Dept. of Assesments and Taxation.

 
At 6/21/2006 11:18 PM, Blogger coho said...

Way to go, Doug!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home