Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Sunday, July 02, 2006

New Zealand and Other Thoughts

*Not allowed to upload from this computer, but am able to download (go figure) so the pictures were found on the internet*

New Zealand is a wonderful place. I cannot say how cool the people are and how beautiful the scenery. Today I am writing to you all from the base of Mt. Cook at the Youth Hostel. Such a fantastic spot in the world as you would ever want to see or be.


Mt. Cook and Lake Pukaki

I stayed 2 nights in Christchurch and then went to a spot in the road called Geraldine. They are known for making great chocolate and cheese. The vintage 5 year old cheddar about made me faint, it is so good. But the raspberry chocolate nut bar... oh man... I could eat that stuff until I'm sick.

From there I went to Lake Tekapo and had my lunch on the shore. The water was supposed to be as blue as in the picture below, but it was a cloudy day so it looked grey. But it sure was pretty anyway.

Lake Tekapo

I will say this for New Zealand, they have better roads and better road signage than almost anywhere in Australia. I really like it here.

Here are some of my thoughts:

To try and get a work visa and stay in NZ for a long time (I only thought of this as a passing fancy in Australia) and only keep the rest of my flights scheduled for this trip as a means of getting home to take care of business.

What does New Zealand offer that I can't get back in The States? A job? A wife? A new way of life?

The beer is around here is okay. Not as good as in Australia, so there's a minus. I've tried Tui -reminds me of lucky Lager. SD Draught Beer - A Lager. Lagery lager lagerness. Speights (the big national brand)- almost like a good ale. Moa- a decent champagne style beer. However I do plan to go to the Speights Brewery in Dunedin.

**I miss Iron Horse Beer!!!!!** That was for you Q.

Stay in New Zealand for as long as possible and only briefly visit, for like a week or so, Thailand and Japan.

I am just now realizing what I will be undertaking in Thailand and Japan. Not only do I not speak the language, but I am also finding that Japanese, for the most part, do not speak English very well or not at all and from what I've heard from other travelers who have gone to Japan English is spoken about as much as Japanese is spoken in America eventhough it is taught to them at a young age. A fellow from Taiwan, Chia Hoa, said that he got around better by speaking Chinese than with English. Anyway, I think that I will have a difficult time getting around in these countries and that makes me nervous. I don't really want to not go to these countries, but I hope you get how I feel and maybe you would too in my position.

Thanks again for reading the blog and I enjoy reading your comments. Be well my friends.

2 Comments:

At 7/02/2006 6:24 PM, Blogger coho said...

I don't think I've ever heard a traveler to New Zealand not say they wanted to stay. Even people from places that most other people consider destinations in themselves.

It would be really neat if you were able to stay awhile. Those frosty-cold bikers you mentioned are only the coho-flavored die-hards. Come springtime...then you'll see some bikes. I sort of fancy a winter (for those of us on the top of the ball) of summer riding in NZ. If you stayed, I wouldn't have to pay the hostel people...

DOITDOITDOIT!

Good morning, Dale. You're not up early enough today.

-coho

PS. Your Mom will not be as enthusiastic about it as I am, but she'll support you just the same.

 
At 7/03/2006 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

half of the adventure is trying to learn bits and pieces of the language to get by. Even with my rudimentary knowledge of japanese, I'd still want to experience the culture.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home