Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Monday, July 10, 2006

Points Inbetween

Well, I've decided that I will go forth with the plans as they are for Thailand and Japan. The flights are scheduled to fly on July 24th to Thailand from Brisbane and then to Japan on August 20 and then to Portland on September 19 and then to Seattle. I may end up staying in Portland for a while to visit Douglas B. ( Hi Doug!) . I've said it before, this whole trip has been scary and exciting all at the same time.

From Dunedin I've been to Invercargall, Buff (the furthest Southern Point in the South Island and probably about as far South as I will ever be), Te Anu, and now I'm in Milford Sound.

Milford Sound is an absolutely stunning place. High mountain peaks and gorgeous waterways and it has been raining almost non-stop since I got here so there are waterfalls flowing everywhere you look *but again I'm not able to upload pictures, alas*. If you check out a map of New Zealand you will see that there is only one road in and out of Milford Sound and so far they have threatened to close the road for avalanche control twice in only about 24 hours. There is only one place to stay here and only one place to eat and get groceries and all of them are owned by the same company. They even own a tour/cruise company that will take you out for a 3 hour tour a 3 hour touuurrr (crash crash) the weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed... you know the rest.

tomorrow I plan to get to Manatoa as long as the mountain pass remains open.

3 Comments:

At 7/10/2006 8:47 PM, Blogger coho said...

Hey,
Bert's shed was(is) in Invercargill...I'd best be gettin' a picture of it. (mumblemumblerazzafrazzin'mikafrizbrontus)

Your Thai stuff is underway, Ben doesn't have a scanner and does have about as much time to go to Kinko's as I do. No worries, you'll have it before you leave Brisbane.

If the pass is closed, back up the Corolla 20' or so and jump over it.

BTW, 19 September (your date of return) is International Talk Like A Pirate Day!* Since 1996!

*http://www.talklikeapirate.com/
*http://www.talklikeapirateday.com/
(sorry I can't post hot links, gotta copy-and-paste)

 
At 7/11/2006 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thom,
the you might like to know the furniture for the station just got here the other day and they are putting things up now. Slow progress. The pictures are awesome, looks like home...kinda...Sept. 19 is the primary....I hope I don't need your vote young man. And August 4th will be Coast Guard Day...just because you are gone.
Sorry dude,
Dale

 
At 7/14/2006 10:59 AM, Blogger npod said...

Glad to hear you're going to Thailand and Japan! My friend came back from Thailand with these strange round seeds. They looked like dried garbanzo beans. You buy them at grocery stores. They are used for cooking with or can be munched on. They have a numbing effect on your mouth...very strange, but you cannot buy them in the US, so you should try them if you see em!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home