Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Bigger Than NPR

I am a huge fan of public radio. To me this is how radio should be; open, informative and entertaining. There is one program that continually draws me in. Fresh Air with Terry Gross.
Her last show was one of the best that I have ever heard. She interviewed 2 guys who did a documentary call
Baghdad ER and also replayed an old interview she had with Kurt Vonnegut. Go and listen to it now. It made me think, it made me sad, it made me realize that once again I want to be in radio. I am using Terry Gross as my inspiration because she is so good that I can only hope to have a portion of the talent she does.

An ancient Japanese castle wall

I know I have the talent and the desire to be in radio, if I can only get that big break. I am thinking of what Steve told me when I saw him a couple weeks ago: "Thom you are bigger than NPR." Talk about a mind bender. If I am in fact bigger than NPR then how the hell do I get to that level of respectability and vastness?

I just talked with David Stephen Ball Romney and he said, "Well this is the second time you have tried to grasp the brass ring, so to speak." Selling my house and then traveling the
world and now trying to get that dream job. Although these are just the couple things that he has seen go on in my life in the last couple of years it may be a personality trait to just go for what I desire regardless of a safety net.

Feeling a bit lost today and pondering where and what to do next if I do not get the Weekend Host/Producer job at NWPR. I know I will land of my feet wherever I am, but I still need to make some type of contingency plans.


2 Comments:

At 4/17/2007 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Thom,

You can tell when people are confident right? just feel like your vast and respectable and people will think you actually are...maybe.

-Noah

 
At 4/18/2007 11:51 PM, Blogger David Stephen Ball-Romney said...

You seem to know what you're doing and walking the path to where you want to be. How lost could you be?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home