Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Saturday, January 06, 2007

"Interviewed" at Clear Channel

I had met Jack Balzer about 10 years ago while he was working over nights at KATS FM, in Yakima, after a friend of mine who was working at KIT/KATS asked me to come down and dink around doing some radio production work. So I see jack come in to Macy's and I make a point to stop him and reintroduce myself. He is now the Program Director for KUTI in Yakima. To make a long story short, because I only have a few minutes left on my lunch, I sent him my resume and my audio demo recording and he sent it to other PDs around the Clear Channel cluster of stations and other Clear Channel PDs. So then I saw Dave Ettl at Macy's, who is the PD for KIT, which is in the same group as Jacks, and he said stop by the station sometime. The next day I made an appointment to go hang out with Jack. That lead to me getting a very impromptu interview! They recently had their "board op" or broadcast board operator for games, like baseball, football, etc. I am waaaaaay over qualified and it is only a part-time gig, but a foot in the door. Also, there really isn't a job opening, but they feel they must replace this position ASAP or maybe not be able to fill it for quite a while if ever. We shall see.

Just going into the studios I felt very elated and was checking out all the fun I could be having and all of the microphones waiting for my voice. It will happen. It is just a matter of time and effort.


6 Comments:

At 1/06/2007 9:25 PM, Blogger Casewag said...

Way to go Thom. Board Op'in isn't the most glamorous job in the business, but I'm sure you'll climb outta that soon. Interestingly, I'm writing this while board operating myself! It's kinda boring. Hence the long message. Call me.
Later
-case

 
At 1/08/2007 2:12 PM, Blogger Thom said...

Thanks Casey. I am really looking forward to getting "back into it".


i10d2bs - Thanks for the memory. You know she still works for Albertsons. Go figure.

 
At 1/09/2007 1:32 AM, Blogger coho said...

It's nice to hear you say get back into it. You've been talking about radio lately like it wasn't something you'd been doing in various forms for nearly twenty years.

Give 'em hell, man.



Hi Steve.

 
At 1/10/2007 10:07 AM, Blogger npod said...

all I can say is: excellent work!

-Noah

 
At 1/11/2007 3:44 PM, Blogger David Stephen Ball-Romney said...

You got this far without "Want Ads" or "the Internet" or "Head Hunters"!

And you don't even have to marry the guy's daughter, have a relative in the company, or bribe anyone!

 
At 1/13/2007 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DUDE!!!! KUDOS THOM!!!

DAVE& STEPH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home