Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Friday, August 18, 2006

Expensive Country Shortens Journey

I've been doing my research on Japan and holy cow is it an expensive country to visit. Almost every traveler I've talk to about heading to Japan all say that they can't afford to go there because it costs too much, and now I see why.

An average hotel in Japan, nothing fancy, just the basics, with a smaller than, what Westerners are probably used to, room goes for about $120 or 13800 Yen. FYI, the exchange is about 115 yen for 1 dollar. $120 is my average daily cost for traveling in all of Thailand, which includes all the in country flights, motorcycle and motorbike rental, laundry, gifts, and souvenirs, eating, drinking, and the broken bike parts. Everything. And I am living VERY well here, you can travel in Thailand much, much cheaper.

Looking at how much money I have left to spend, and seeing as Japan is a pretty expensive place to visit, I will need to shorten my journey by about 1 week, than originally planned. You know, that is pretty fucking good if you ask me. Travel for about 6 months and then come up a week short on money. Well, heck, I'm pretty proud of myself for that. Even if I spend too much in Japan and have to come home 2 weeks early (which I doubt), well I still think it is pretty damn good budgeting.

Although at this time I have not actually gotten my ticket out of Japan, my new tentative arrival date will be September 9. As always, I will do my best to keep all 4 of my readers up to date.

Just thought y'all should know.

5 Comments:

At 8/18/2006 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet, you'll be home by the erection..I mean election. Ryan Lunz called when he was in town. We didn't meet but he was doing well teaching at a junior high and gigging a bit. Have fun with the trip.
dale

 
At 8/18/2006 9:59 AM, Blogger npod said...

I think you already know about this site, but angie and I used it in Spain and had good luck with it. Got any pics of temples in thailand?

http://www.hostelworld.com/countries/japanhostels.html?source=googleadwordscountry

 
At 8/18/2006 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

4 readers and a lurker or three

;)


Marie

 
At 8/19/2006 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thom,

Rest assured there are more than four visitors. I just don't know how often you want to hear me say "looks like fun - keep the pictures & posts coming". . . .

What an adventure. I envy you. I could probably afford such a trip if I sold the house, but I'd have to figure out what to do with the wife and kids. . . Sell 'em with the house? A package deal? Hmmmm..... :)

Kelly

 
At 8/22/2006 8:07 PM, Blogger David Stephen Ball-Romney said...

I love your attitude!

Some of my relatives like to squeeze the nickel until the buffalo shits, and that's no fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home