Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Monday, March 13, 2006

Read Across America

A couple of weeks ago I was asked to read to a classroom or 6th graders for Read Across America on March 3, 2006. I read a selection from "Cannery Row" by John Stienbeck, where the boys go and get frogs for Doc. This is one of those scenes that sticks in your head. The kind that to this day whenever I see a large amount of frogs I think of that frog catching scene.

There is a certain great something that happens when you read to kids. I would love to read to kids more often to see their eyes light up or hear them squirm when I read a particularly squirmy part. The teacher, Mr. Dwight, said many times how much he and the kids enjoyed me being there. It made me feel really good and I enjoyed it immensely. Here is an e-mail thread with Mr. Dwight that really put a capper on it all.



Thom:
When might you be leaving town? Is there a physical address that we can send correspondence to?
Thanks again!
The kids really enjoyed you last week!
Mr. Dwight
______________________


Hey Mr. Dwight,

I'll be leaving town probably April 2 or so. I'll be at my current address until March 30.


Thom XXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXXXX

Ellensburg



After the 30th, you can send stuff to my parents house;


XXXXXXXXX

XXXXXXXXX



Thanks for the kind words I really enjoyed doing it. It was a lot of fun and would love to do it again.



Thom

___________________________________________



I will file your parents address with the Read Across America Day info I have and send you a letter of info next year and in the years to come. If you are in the states, cool.

Appreciated everything! That was more fun for me than Christmas! (not joking)

Mr. Dwight

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home