Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Interview


My day began around 5:15 A.M. when I awoke to the morning sun. The great thing is that the Bob Marley song “3 little birds” began in my head and I fell back asleep singing it in my noggin. It goes something like this “Woke up this mornin'/smiled at the risen sun/ three little birds/ sittin' by my doorstep/singing sweet songs/ of melody pure and true/ sayin' this is my message to you-who-who. Don't worry/ about a thing/ because every little thing/ gonna be alright (repeat last phrase as often as you want. Why not? It's in your head). So when I woke up at the right time of 7:30 I still had that song in my head and sung it throughout the long day. I think it helped.



After waking up and drinking some coffee, having a little breakfast and taking a shower then getting dressed up in a suit and shiny shoes. I had about 30 minutes to cram study for the interview the best I could. At 9:30 I set off for the interview knowing it would take me about 20 minutes to get to the Northwest Public Radio (NWPR) offices.



10 A.M. I meet with the NWPR Weekend Edition Host/Producer Search Committee and was grilled with interview type questions for around an hour. This was the most intense part of the day.



11 A.M. Met with the person in charge of benefits and accounting for NWPR etc. for a half hour. For a description of what types of benefits I can expect from Washington State University, of which there are many.



11:30 (or so) a brief break, then at 11:45 went and got a lunch to be brought back to the station for a Noon to 1:00 “brown bag lunch” with the staff of NWPR. I was the only one eating. Some brought in coffee. But it was take a bite, get asked a question, *chew-chew-chew* then hold up a finger to show hold on a second. Take a swig of juice, swallow, answer said question. I only got to eat about ¼ of my lunch. After their questions then I got to ask a few. This was the most fun part of the day. I had them laughing and we had a good time and I actually enjoyed myself. I think we all did.



A break and now time took a strange leap. There was a break, and then I was shown how to basically go about doing a “Production Exercise” that had 5 sections that had a couple of parts in each section. I got the 1st one done and ½ of the second one. Not great speed but I was happy with the quality. Of the parts of this interview day this is the one where I wish I could have done more.



I got another break and then I met with the Program Director for a chat about what it would be like to work with her and etc. By this time (around 3 something) my brain was toast and I was mentally done in. But it was good to talk with her. She told me that I should be proud of myself because I was the only candidate they interviewed who did not have Public Radio experience and I got this far (1 of 3 finalist for the position) because of my enthusiasm for the job. While there where others who applied that were actually doing the job as posted, they lacked any kind of enthusiasm. That was a really nice thing to say. She also said that I did a “fabulous job” today.



After it was over, and it was all I could think of the 2 days, my overall feeling was that I did the very best I could. I have no regrets about anything that I said or did. I put my best foot forward and gave it my best shot. Once again, if I don't get the job it is not because of the interview. It will be because I just don't have what they are looking for. Even though I know that I do. I was told that I will definitely know by next Friday, May 11th, but should know before that.




COME ON JOB OFFER!

3 Comments:

At 5/06/2007 4:36 PM, Blogger coho said...

I thought I posted this yesterday, but it apparently didn't take.

http://sites.gizoogle.com/index2.php?url=http%3A%2F%2Fthomkblog.blogspot.com%2F

No, really, it's funny.

 
At 5/07/2007 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck Thom! Hoping this pans out for you! Kelly.

 
At 5/07/2007 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't get it then you either didn't have something they were looking for or you didn't smooch all the proper buttocks while you were there.

Shot you an email last week. Haven't heard back. Just wanted to make sure it didn't get spamfiltered out...

Mike
chshrecat@ yahoo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home