Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Thursday, September 28, 2006

More Reality Checks




So far what I miss most about travel is the constant adventure. Every day there was something new to discover and just walking out the door meant a new challenge. But back in the U.S. I can read all the signs and I am now driving my own car and seeing and staying with friends. Sure I am seeing new things and meeting with old friends, which is great. But the call of the open road is strong.

Sure I could continue to travel some more, if I want to completely delete my savings and my "get re-established" fund, but at some point I will have to find a place to live, get a job, and begin the process of trying to save up for another journey. Hopefully to Budapest, or maybe back to Japan, or how about Greece, or visit my friends in Germany, Amsterdam, Ireland, England, France, or even Canada or New York.

Seattle sure seems like it would be a nice place to stay for a while but, to be honest, I don't think the people of Seattle are very friendly. Sure I met some nice people there, especially at The Zig Zag. But overall I never got a feeling of friendliness or willing acceptance like I have in so many other cities. I plan to visit Portland, Oregon soon and see if I like it better down there. Everyone I've spoken with about it says that they really like Portland, so I'm looking forward to going there.

Not long after I came back from Japan I needed to get to Yakima to see my family. So, still being in a "traveling in Japan mind set", I was thinking that I could get a train from Seattle to Yakima. But there isn't one. So I had to hitch a ride with my sister (Hi Sue, Hi Randy) and her husband. Not that I'm complaining about getting a ride, just the lack of public transport. I suppose I could have taken the bus...

While I was in Seattle I went up into the Space Needle and it was cool! It was such a clear day that you could see the curve of the Earth.


I also ate my first real American (read not McDonald's) hamburger in about 6 months. Coho suggested the Red Mill, which is not too far from his home, and he was right on. A great burger and very tasty. They also gave me a free rootbeer. *heh heh*

I miss having cute little Japanese women all around me and many of them single. When you go from having many female friends to having to rebuild that circle of friends and trying to find friends who are not huge is not easy in America.

People ask me what I plan to do for a job? My hope is to get back into radio. I love radio. It's the only job I've ever had that never seemed like work. Plus I have a real gift of being able to talk to just about anyone and communicate with them. I hope to use this gift in radio broadcasting because communicating through a mass medium is also a gift and skill that I am really good at doing. I will work in radio again, and I hope it is on my terms and with a company I like. That's not too much to ask, is it?

8 Comments:

At 9/28/2006 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey if you are interested in a radio gig I can introduce you to some folks around here with connections to local and Olympia based radio stations. plus there are tons 'O fat chicks for you!

Comet

 
At 9/28/2006 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great way to start an interview...."jesus,you sure are fat"....check your waistline buddddddy.
And you drove by my house and didn't stop for cigars or a fat joke...or anything....
Dale

 
At 9/28/2006 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home my friend.
Do not be forgetting the old hindi saying, "Fat girls try harder."

It will serve you well as your journey continues. Also you should not be forgetting that a job is only the pausing to rest before resuming the journey which is your real life.

Be safe, be courteous.

 
At 9/29/2006 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thom it was nice to have you around to bad we had to work.
Did you check out the beer store?
Hope you find peace soon.
Love ya Mary

 
At 9/29/2006 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sister has a beer store......and we haven't met....waz up wid dat, dude?
dale

 
At 9/29/2006 10:36 AM, Blogger Thom said...

Dale - I would have stopped by your house but I was in a hurry to get to Seattle for a date.

Dr. - Thanks for the input.

Mary - It was good to see you all again too and no I didn't make it to the store but I will be back soon.

Dale - My sister does not own a beer store.

 
At 9/29/2006 5:26 PM, Blogger npod said...

I say go to Budapest now and be a DJ over there. I bet they'd love your American accent! Go Go Go! I agree completely about obese people here in America. People still don't really know about nutrition...I see folks just grabbing things off the shelves at the store without looking at labels, just looking at price. Its very sad. Ignorance is obese...oh I mean bliss.

 
At 9/29/2006 10:36 PM, Blogger David Stephen Ball-Romney said...

Isn't there a trans-national "virtual" radio station 'where' you could DJ?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home