Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Pictures and Stories

Goofing around in a department store. There are so many different department stores and so much stuff to buy here. Like pillows that you can make to look like penises. People walking by were doing double takes and then laughing. It was fun to do because Japanese people would never do something like this. So it made it even more fun to do.

This is my new life long friend James. I met him on the a cigar web forum and when he found out that I was on a trip around the world he offered to show me around Yokohama, where he lives, and parts of Tokyo. I had met him initially when I was in the airport going from Bangkok to Koh Samui Island in Thailand. He has been a great friend, a guide, and an all around good guy. I do not think that my experience of Japan would be as great were it not for his companionship. We had much fun and good times together. He showed me his favorite hangout Stoves Bar.

This is the georgeous Melinda, at Stove's. Here is a story that novels and movies are based on. James, his friend Mioko (me-oh-ko) and I were out going to have dinner at Stove's Bar, and try to find Suntory Hermes Bitters for Maury the bartender at The Zig Zag, where Coho works (that is another story) when we walked past this woman, Melinda, who was looking around as if lost. I stopped to ask if she needed some help. She said yes, that she needed to find an electricity converter plug. (Japan works on 100 V, with the same style outlets as the US system). We just passed a huge electronics store, Bic Camera, so all 4 of us go into the store looking for this converter. We found it. Then asked if she had eaten? She said no, and we invited her to come with us. She is from Budapest Hungary and is in Yokohama on a business trip and leaves the same day as I do, and we are staying in the same hotel. Hmm. She is from Budapest, I am from Ellensburg, and we meet in Yokohama Japan. Coincidence? I can only hope so.

Where is Thom? I am somewhere in this photo, try to find me. This is the busiest street corner in the world in Shabuya and it wasn't even very busy this time. This is also the same street corner where some of the filming of Lost In Translation was made. There are some very freaky people in this area. People dressed in all one color. One woman was all day-glow green. Her hair, her eyes (yes her eyes), her clothes, her shoes, her fingernails, all day glow green. I couldn't stop staring at her. Freaky-deaky.

On another note, I feel completely safe in this country. Not once have I been scared or afraid to go places. I have been down some alley ways where I would never have ventured in the U.S. for fear of being mugged or beaten. But not here. Not only that but I do not have the overwhelming fear placed on me by media sources and the government that I will be attacked by some crazed wacko with a bomb at any second. This is a country of peace and I like it.

Speaking of bombs, I have found NO ONE in my travels who likes George Bush. No one. When I talk to them they also want to know why he was elected twice. I do not know, because I didn't vote for that idiot. Then they say, almost everyone and I'm not exagerating, "Clinton was a good President. I like Bill Clinton. He was a peaceful man." Indeed.

My journey abroad is almost at an end. I have only 4 days left in this wonderful country and on my wonderful trip. It truly has been fantastic and I am well aware of how fortunate I am to have been able to go on such a long and fulfilling adventure. My hope is that each one of you will too be able to experience the global village as I have. I feel humble but proud.

4 Comments:

At 9/13/2006 10:29 PM, Blogger coho said...

The giggling shoppers were probably thankful for the reminder that they think Americans all gots big junk.

Today's security word is: lgyweig

 
At 9/14/2006 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is Thom? Reward? Looks like a place I don't want to be. To many people for my taste. I agree Clinton was a good President. Also human. Sorry your trip is at its end, but it will be good to have you home.
Have a safe flight!!!!
Love ya Mary

 
At 9/14/2006 8:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are proud of you Thom. Working from the time you were 12yrs old. Starting with a paper route. Working hard to acheive what you are able to do today.Looking forward to your coming home .Be safe.
We Love you.
Mom and Dad

 
At 9/17/2006 4:02 PM, Blogger David Stephen Ball-Romney said...

May I have your Budapest address?

Melinda and you look great together.

: )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home