Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Kyoto etc.

A quick post today, I only have an hour as other people are waiting to use this station.

Today, and the last 3 days I have been in Kyoto which is one of the most metropolitan cities that I have visited in Japan. There are many tourists here. Not only white people from all over the world, there are many people here from Isreal and Germany, but also many Chinese, Korean, Tiawanese, and other Japanese who are here for a visit.

Yesterday I met up with 3 really nice women in Kyoto on the bus. We went shopping, eatting and having an all around good time. But they all had to leave before 11 PM. Damn that last train!


Thom, Ishi (ee-shee), Shizu (Sheet-zoo), Kahzuha (Kah-zoo-ha) 9-3-2006

My philosophy on travel:

Traveling is about solving everyday problems every day. Each new culture has it's own way of doing everyday things. From how do you hand over change? In Australia you put the money on the counter but in Japan you put the money on a change plate, and in America you put it in their hand directly. How do you say hello, thank you, excuse me, beer, and how do you order when the menu is in a different language? How do you greet people? Do you bow? Shake hands? Wai, with your hands held in prayer fashion up to your nose as they do in Thailand? This is travel. Learning that the culture you live in is not the only culture in the world and getting completely overwhelmed by a new language and lifestyle but still making your way to around while making new friends.

People all over the world want the same things; A warm dry place to sleep. A safe environment. Peace with their neighbors and the world. Food enough to eat. Friends to share their life with. A good drunk every now and then... maybe that last one is mine, but every place I've been to on this trip likes beer.


This guy will write your name in Kanji in an artistic style and then look into your eyes to then write something about you. It was worth 1000 yen.

9 Comments:

At 9/04/2006 4:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what he's writing...this guy just gave me 1000 yen to write his name....just try that here in the US. Save travels...bring cute girls...with out a train time.
Dale

 
At 9/04/2006 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw what you did with my girlfriend!
I will get you gaijin!
Big pink monkey!

 
At 9/04/2006 10:28 AM, Blogger coho said...

Why would anyone even bother to visit someplace that doesn't like beer?

 
At 9/05/2006 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there!!!
Looks like fun to me! Enjoy the rest of your trip, I enjoy reading about it. Maybe see you in Amsterdam sometime.

Machteld

 
At 9/05/2006 8:06 PM, Blogger npod said...

The number of ladies in your pictures seems to multiply the longer you're in Japan! Maybe you can somehow set the clock back a couple hours so they'll miss that damn last train!

 
At 9/06/2006 11:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna know more about the big pink monkey......dude.....
dale

 
At 9/08/2006 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thom!
Are you slacking on us?
We need more info!
Q

 
At 9/08/2006 3:37 PM, Blogger David Stephen Ball-Romney said...

Oh Thom! Ishi and Kahzuha were giving you a 'special gesture' with their middle and index fingers. I think I know what that gesture means!

 
At 9/08/2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Thom said...

David - What you don't see is that Kahzuha and I are holding hands. She is a real sweety.

Q - what more info? Send me an e-mail and I will tell you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home