Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Suntory Hermes Orange Bitters Story

Murray is the head bartender at The Zig Zag. Coho also works there as the head chef. Murray knew that I was in Japan and so he asked Coho to ask me to look for something called Suntory Hermes Orange Bitters which is used to create cocktails, and is not available in the United States.


I started my search for this "un-obtainium" while I was in Kyoto. I asked my buddy James for help. We found a liquor store but the owner guy had no idea what we were talking about. Over the next couple of days we found few more stores but no bitters. Damn. This stuff is not going to be easy to find!


I even check when I go up to Sapporo. I went to 2 different stores that had lots of liquor and stuff, but no bitters. Now it is a challenge. I WILL find this stuff.

So then it was back to Yokohama. The night I met Melinda was a night that James, his date Mami (mah-me), and I were on the hunt for Suntory Hermes Orange Bitters. We were going to a supposed liquer store, that was not open that night nor when I tried to go back 3 different times to get "the stuff", which, by the way, was near out favorite place to eat, Stoves.


It was at Stoves where James asked one of the bartenders if they know about Suntory Hermes Orange Bitters. Not only had he heard of it, they had a bottle! So I took a picture of the stuff so that we could show others instead of trying to work with the language barrier. That bartender tried to tell us where we could find the stuff. It should be at this store or in the basement. The next day we go to try to find this store.

So I set off to go and try to find this store. I can find all kinds of stores but I do not see any store that might sell Bitters, and I went into a lot of stores that just might have Suntory Heremes Orange Bitters, but didn't find it.

A couple of days go by and I go back to Stoves to see if I can get a clarification on where exactly I can find these bitters. This is Monday of my last week in Japan. I go back to Stoves (like it was hard for me to go back there or something, it's a very cool place) and have dinner and drinks. I find a different bartender and ask them about the bitters. He not only draws me a map but knows the name of the store in English and in Japanese! Awesome!! (Wish I could remember it now). The next day I set out to find this stuff.

In order to get to this store you have to go through the Diamond Underground Shopping Center, then through the JR Train Station, then through the lower floor of the Sogo Department Store, then go into the Lumine Department Store and take the stairs down and there will be the holy temple where the bitters are kept.

So I go there and I find them on the shelf. 2 bottles. Small bottles. So I take them and go to find a clerk. With great difficulty I communicate to him, with the help fo a co-worker who speaks o.k. English, that I need to buy all of the Suntory Hermes Orange Bitters that they have. All of them. He heads back to the back room and I wait.

He comes back and says that they have no more, but they will have a case coming in on Wednesday. Okay I'll come back Wednesday and buy them. So I buy the 2 from the shelf.

Wednesday comes around and I go back to the store to buy the bitters, but they did not arrive. They will be in on Thursday. *big sigh* Okay, I'll come back tomorrow. I'm thinking; I leave on Sunday so this stuff had better be here. But I have faith because the Japanese Customer Service does not like dissapointed customers.

Thursday is the big day and I go back to the store. They have the case of Suntory Hermes Orange Bitters waiting for me, all packaged up with wrapping and a small ribbon as for a gift. **An aside here; in Japan if you buy something and you say "Gifto" meaning this is a gift for someone, they will wrap it up nice with a small bow, and put it in a nice a paper gift bag too, all free of charge.**

Now I put all 8 small bottles in my lugage and pack it out of the country. Where I bring them to Seattle, and take them to Murray at the Zig Zag.

I tell him that I have something for him and I produce the 2 bottles of bitters and say "Do you know how tough it is to find this stuff?" Which he does, and says you got 2 bottles huh? Yeah I say, I got all they had on the shelf... then I produce the case and put it on the bar and say "I hope it will be enough." Murray about fell over. "Good timing on that one." He says. Thanks. He wanted to pay and I said no. I just did a favor for a friend, so just think well of me. He and the Zig Zag were very greatful.

Another life long friend found. And the good folks at The Zig Zag were very generous and hospitable to me. Thanks Coho, Ben, Kacy, and Murray. The Zig Zag is one classy place run by classy people. Enjoy those Suntory Hermes Orange Bitters.

4 Comments:

At 9/24/2006 5:30 PM, Blogger David Stephen Ball-Romney said...

Thom, please give us the address for that place with the Bitters so that we can acquire it ourselves.

Come to think of it, there are a lot of things that you have told me I could get in Japan and it would be really nice to have those addresses too!

It was great to see you, by the way.

 
At 9/24/2006 9:35 PM, Blogger npod said...

David,

If you email the owner of this store you can arrange shipment of this stuff. She has it listed on her product list.

http://www.lenells.com/

 
At 9/25/2006 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Noah,
Though it's listed on their website, LeNell no longer carries Hermes.

 
At 9/25/2006 11:55 PM, Blogger npod said...

as Homer would say...Doh!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home