Reality Check

Is this reality on? Check, check, one... two... Can you hear me in the back okay?

Monday, March 27, 2006














A Successful Yard Sale!


All I really wanted out of my yard sale was to get enough cash to pay off my Macy's bill and I almost tripled that amount.

Lesson's From a Yard Sale:

1) People will arrive early and there is just is no stopping them. I say, that if people want to buy stuff early and they have the money and there is no dickering then sell it. Don't wait.

2) Fridays and Saturdays are better than Sundays for sale days. 75% of all sales happened on the Friday I was preparing the sale (mostly from friends, neighbors, and friends of friends) and that Saturday.

3) Have all items price marked. Group or bag up items and sell them as sets. For example you'll get rid of 3 for $5 more than you'll get rid of $1.50 each, plus you get rid of 3 things and getting rid of things is what it is all about.

4) Cash only. Even from friends. Don't even fuck with checks. Who needs the extra hassle.

5) If it's not for sale (including the tables) put a "Not For Sale" sticker on it.


6) Pre-arrange for a pickup of the items you will be giving to a charity after the sale (Goodwill, St. Vinnies, etc.).


7) Get help. Lots of help. I had 5 adults and 2 kids, they were 10 and 12 years old, to help and I could have used more.

8) Get some change to make change. I started with a roll of quarters, dimes, and nickels, $25 in ones, $40 in fives.

9) Take large bills out of the cash box frequently and move them inside your home. I only left enough in the cash box to change a fifty.

10) Continually move things around to change the appearance and consolidation of items. Keep clothes folded and arranged or on hangers.

11) All Sales Final. I got caught on this one. I had an older color TV from about 1990 that worked fine, I used it almost every day. A guy bought it and then brought it back saying it didn't work. I told him that if the TV turned on at my house it was his and the deal was done, but of course it didn't work. I lost a twenty dollar sale.

12) It's a lot of work. I was really really tired come Sunday night. Plan for a nice hot tub, a couple of cold adult beverages, and nice cigar for winding down.

1 Comments:

At 3/27/2006 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMM...nothin' like slippin' into the hot tub with a good cigar and a nice smooth 12 year old.
(calm down, I mean Scotch, ya perv)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home